Thursday, May 28, 2009

Just Reeeelax

Day 145


Yesterday I arrived into the lazy town called Pai via a crazy minibus driver. We had to drive over this mountain, which forced the people to build the windiest road I have ever been on. After being tossed and turned and nauseated, I stumbled out of the bus into Pai and felt a sense of relaxation. The mood around here reminds me of hippy/ pot-heads. Tons of Bob Marley paraphernalia and tye dye shops. As I was walking around, I heard some foreigners ask a local for some opium! Ahhhh Thailand. People around here love their dreads and it is the first place that I have been where the local people actually dress in the clothing that the market people sell. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, let me explain:


When many foreigners travel to places in South East Asia, they get this feeling of being cool and to wear the natural clothing. The natural clothing consists of loose pants that are colored to be subtle and are very stripy; and to wear shirts that are also loose and are designed to I guess show off the chest hair that no one here has (people here don’t really grow hair on their bodies). Usually only foreigners wear these type of clothing and the locals wear their khaki pants or jeans and wear t-shirts. It is quite funny to see foreigners think that they are truly part of the culture by wearing these things, when in fact they are the only ones wearing these things. HOWEVER, in Pai I have seen a good number of people wearing these natural fibered clothing. I will admit that it is cool looking and looks incredibly comfortable, I’ll just have to use my judgment on this one.


My friend in Lao told me to spend about a week in Pai, but I’m not sure how long I’ll spend, but I do know that it will be very relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment